Baby´s First Solid Food: CEREALS
What kind of cereals should I feed my baby with?
Start with infant rice cereal, not adult cereal. You may next offer barley, oatmeal, and wheat cereal. If these are tolerated add a mixed grain
infant cereal. Try to avoid infant cereal with added fruits and vegetables.Use only one kind of cereal for three to five days before trying a
different kind of cereal.
This way you can watch for signs of an allergy like a rash,
vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain or breathing problems.
The quantity of cereal you should offer your baby is the following:
- Start with 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml.) of dry infant cereal.
- Increase slowly to about half a cup (125 ml.) of infant cereal divided between 2 or 3 meals during the day.
- Remember to throw out any cereal baby does not finish eating.
- Stop feeding when baby is full. A baby who is full will close or cover his/her mouth with his /her hands, turn his/her head away, shake his/her head or cry.
- Remember to offer baby cereal after breastfeeding or formula feeding. Offer cereals in the morning first.
- Always feed cereal from a spoon. This helps your baby get used to using a spoon.
- Never put a cereal in the bottle. It can cause choking.